Monday, February 10, 2014
No, not the show on the Food Network ... my table!
I finished stenciling the desk/table yesterday and I am loving the bright addition to our office/living room (floorplan to come shortly!)
We started with a counter height table
and cut off 6" so it would be a standard dining table height
David said that it would be difficult, ok IMPOSSIBLE to get a straight cut (kinda important so that everything ends up the right height) with the jigsaw so we decided to add a chop saw to our power tool arsenal ...
David has wanted one of these bad boys for a long time ... and with a lot of projects coming up, this will save a lot of time and energy for years to come!
We removed the legs from the table, measured 6" and chopped the legs off :)
David cut all the table legs and chairs down (after taking them apart), while I sanded, primed and painted.
After I lightly sanded (directions say that you dont need to, but I thought it would still be a good idea). I primed with Zinsser 1-2-3 - the coverage wasnt great but it did dry without brush marks which is a plus in my book!
I gave it two coats of SW ProClassic Mega Greige in semi-gloss with XIM extender.
Primer and paint were rolled on with a foam roller (the key to no roller marks is to not over roll!)
I copied an image of the fabric used for the draperies in the room, decided on sizing and layout in Photoshop (ended up looking very close to the fabric layout)
The image above is divided in three even sections (accounting for the center table leaf). It was designed so that the pattern would line up with or without the leaf.
I printed one on two pieces of 8.5x11, and taped them together.
On top of a self healing mat, the paper and stencil film were taped down and the pattern was cut out with an X-Acto knife (center was made white in Photoshop to save ink when printing because we were only cutting the outside)
X-Acto knifes allow detail cutting because the blade (no. 11) is slightly flexible.
We left a few guide lines with vinyl art tape and marked the center lines on the stencil for lining it up - this was much easier to layout than my trellis stencil because the pattern is not overlapping
The key to getting clean lines is having very little paint on the brush (I dip a stencil brush in paint and dab off extra on a paper towel - I then painted with light sweeping motions to mimic the Ikat pattern (pulling away from the stencil line)
About an hour or two later I was done!
SW anew gray was used for the ikat
love the repetition of the draperies which were made shortly before I started my blog, so no formal post, but I cut bands of ivory linen and Duralee Kalah and sewed them together (pretty easy :)
You may be wondering why I refer to this as a desk/table ... our desk is converted to a dining table when needed, which isnt too often - good thing because that computer is heavy!
The leaf was painted so that the pattern would line up when it was used
and a glimpse of a project I was working on this morning - an adorable Westie :)
Ill be showing pictures of the whole table once the chairs are finished, but first I am off Indianapolis to attend the Delta Faucet 2012 Blogger Event!
It sounds like it is going to be a really fun event - I am looking forward to seeing some of Deltas new products and meeting the people of Delta and other bloggers!!